The Primitivo grapes are carefully selected from low-yielding vineyards in the Communes of Avetrana and Manduria, in the Province of Taranto, southern Puglia.
PLANT TRAINING AND DENSITY
The vines are trained in the “Alberello Pugliese” system. Plant density is around 5.500 plants per hectare with an average yield of 1.8 kg per plant. The plants are an average of 25 to 35 years old.
Careful manual harvest in late August.
After de-stemming, the grapes are not crushed, allowing them to remain intact, reducing damage to the skins and optimizing colour extraction. Fermentation takes place in stainless steel tanks at a controlled temperature of 23-25°C for 8-10 days.
Frequent remontage and delestage are carried out during the fermentation in order to achieve soft extraction of aromas and gentle tannins. After racking, malolactic fermentation is induced.
Following malolactic fermentation the wine is racked and 40% is placed in first passage French and American oak barriques for 8 months. The remaining 60% is placed in stainless steel containers at a controlled temperature of 18°C.