LIALA: Ladies name that means “night”
The grapes come from the oldest vineyards of our estate, located in the commune of Guagnano in the province of Lecce. Very low yields and carefully selected grapes are used to make this impressive Negroamaro.
PLANT TRAINING AND DENSITY
The training method is traditional ‘alberello pugliese’ (bush vines). The vines are approximately 80 years old, with an average yield of 700-800g per plant.
The grapes are harvested by hand into small 5kg crates of place from mid-September. The grapes are harvested when they are over-ripe and have begun a natural appassimento on the plant. The over-ripening allows greater concentration to be obtained, while preserving the fragrance of red fruits.
After de-stemming, the grapes are not crushed, allowing them to remain intact, reducing damage to the skins and optimizing colour extraction. Fermentation takes place in stainless steel tanks at a controlled temperature of 23-25°C for 8-10 days. Selected yeasts that are ideal for Negroamaro are used for fermentation.
Frequent pumping over and rack and return are carried out during the fermentation to achieve gentle extraction of aromas and supple tannins. After racking, malolactic fermentation is induced.
After malolactic fermentation 70% of the wine is racked and placed in 225 litre barrels and 3,000 litre oak casks for 7-8 months. Using different sized barrels gives the wine an excellent balance of fruit and oak. The remaining 30% is placed in stainless steel tanks. The components are then blended mid to end of June.
Annual production is around 25,000 bottles, produced only in the best vintages.